Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I always say shopping is cheaper than a psychiatrist.-Bakker

I’ll come back to my opening quote in a little bit.  This is a GREAT week for live music, so that is where I am starting today!

Rock me gently…

Wednesday night, Acoustic Long Island hosts both Jann Klose and one of my faves, Dan Mills…this FREE show is definitely worth checking out!

This Thursday, get your olde-timey and bluegrass on with Free Grass Union at Patchogue Theatre’s Live in the Lobby…$10 gets you in.

On Friday, Peacesmiths’ Topical, A-typical, Folk Music, Poetry & Whatever Coffeehouse features Sonny Meadows and Bob Westcott. $7 suggested donation.

This Saturday, the Folk Music Society of Huntington presents its First Saturdays Concert Series with David Jacobs-Strain and Joe Iadanza…this gig is a bit over Cheap Date limits, but is definitely worth checking out!

Two great shows this Sunday…one local, one not so much but for a good cause.  The Patchogue Walking Arts Festival will be kicking off at 1PM at the Patchogue Theatre with an artists’ reception…don’t miss this FREE event !  Also, Glen Roethel was kind enough to email me about this fundraiser: “I’m performing with Gathering Time in a special concert to raise funds for a local family faced with rising medical bills. It’s just a $5 suggested donation. Music starts at 2:30pm; Gathering Time performs a 40-minute set at about 4:45. Songs for Stacey–Join us for an afternoon of music! WHEN: Sunday, November 1st 2:30pm – 5:30pm WHERE: Reformed Church of Bronxville, 180 Pondfield Road, Bronxville.”  If you are in the area, make a point of checking out this incredibly talented band!

And, um, Glen…if you read this, remind the Chantey Man to email me his gigs…

Feed me, Seymour…

It’s Long Island Restaurant Week!  Click here for participating restaurants!

Home movies

The Found Footage Festival…one of the strangest, most disturbing, and sometimes hilarious things I have ever come across.  Definitely worth checking out!

Mmmmmmm….beer…

It’s the harvest season, and what could be more appropriate than a pumpkin brew?  This weekend I had the Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale on tap…all I can say is get yourself a growler today!  Yummy!

Home is where the heart is

For some reason, many people think that I make lots of money and that I am just cheap.  I’m frugal…there’s a difference–and you learn how to be frugal when you’ve gone through things in life that make it tough to pay the bills or even just get by.  Hence, I have done a lot of research on resources that come in very handy when living on a very stretched budget.  I am lucky enough to be doing ok right now, but we all know it just takes one emergency to push many of us over the edge, so I am going to list some resources here that I hope some people will find useful.

HEAP (the Home Energy Assistance Program) is officially up and running for the 2009-2010 year.  If you are having trouble getting by and need help with your heating bill, this is a great resource!

The Long Island Housing Partnership has some wonderful programs, such as credit counselling and mortgage assistance that make it possible for those of us who work hard but are not wealthy find quality affordable housing (a.k.a. workforce housing).  I myself participate in this program, and think it’s a great opportunity for working class folks to get into homes we might never have been able to afford without a little help!

And, finally, getting back to my quote about shopping–I only recently started shopping in stores like K-mart and WalMart as I always favored mom and pop stores (and still try to shop in those as much as possible as it’s good for the local economy!); however, I am now hooked on K-mart’s Country Living collection!  I am now buying everything from the Classic Vintage grouping, and I have to say I couldn’t be happier with the quality (in fact, I’m shocked!).  If you’re trying to spruce up the house in time for the holidays, it’s definitely worth checking out!

All for now, you kooky cats!  Have a gig or event that should be here?  Let me know at cheapdateli@gmail.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment