Sunday, January 3, 2010

My favorite films of '09

Personally I was disappointed with 2009’s offering of cinema. Most people thought ‘08 had a bad turn out, but that year’s films were so much better than last year’s. Whereas in ‘08 I saw many new films the day or week they came out, in ‘09 I wasn’t particularly impressed with anything enough to watch it right when it was released. I either waited a few weeks, or just watched it once it came out on DVD or Blu-Ray. Because of this I watched many, many more older and non-American films, which was well worth their mostly long running times. This isn’t to say I totally avoided all new American films, or to infer I wasn’t excited about some films enough to catch them on their release date in theaters. I was particularly excited about Inglourious Basterds and Star Trek when they came out, for example, and I watched both on their opening day. Though I much more prefer a film with more substance than explosions, I don’t write-off a movie completely just because of its blockbuster status. The only exception to this was New Moon. I have better things to do than watch sparkly virgin vampires doing their thing.

My favorite films of ‘09: (in alphabetical order)

– Michael Moore, Capitalism: A Love Story

– Henry Selick, Coraline

– Wes Anderson, Fantastic Mr. Fox

– Matteo Garrone, Gomorrah

– Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker

– Steven Soderbergh, The Informant!

– Duncan Jones, Moon

– Cary Fukunaga, Sin Nombre

– Cyrus Nowrasteh, The Stoning of Soraya M.

– Pete Docter and Bob Peterson, Up

If there are any two films I would recommend as a must see, it’d be The Hurt Locker and Sin Nombre. The power of both films makes me glad to see good filmmakers making good films still.

Honorable Mentions:

– Marc Webb, (500) Days of Summer

– Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds

– Lee Daniels, Precious

– J.J. Abrams, Star Trek

– Jason Reitman, Up in the Air

My least favorite films of ‘09: (in ascending order of suckiness)

– Zack Snyder, Watchmen

– McG, Terminator Salvation

– Gavin Hood, X-Men Origins: Wolverine

– Stephen Sommers, G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

– Shawn Levy, Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian

– Nicholas Jasenovic, Paper Heart

– Oren Peli, Paranormal Activity

Avoid the last two like the plague.



I’m sad to say I didn’t see many new foreign films, particularly almost no new Filipino films at all. So, just for giggles, here are my favorite non-new release foreign films I saw in ‘09: (in alphabetical order)

– Francois Truffaut, The 400 Blows

– Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Blissfully Yours

– Auraeus Solito, Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros

– Akira Kurosawa, The Hidden Fortress

– Hayao Miyazaki, Howl’s Moving Castle

– Masaki Kobayashi, Kwaidan

– Tomas Alfredson, Let the Right One In

– Ishmael Bernal, City After Dark/Manila by Night

– Lino Brocka, Maynila: Sa mga Kuko ng Liwanag

– Ingmar Bergman, Scenes from a Marriage

– Brillante Mendoza, Serbis





[Via http://filmrevisited.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment