Saturday, December 5, 2009

2012..No not the Olympics

Before I praise 2012 (the movie) on its amazing graphics, I will first add that there is also two other films released around the same time called 2012: Doomsday and its sequel 2012: Supernova. Which are both amazingly bad, and not the kind of bad that you can say, ‘It’s so bad its good!’. If you are going to watch one of them, say for example if you have a momentary lapse of insanity of the brain tank, watch Supernova, simply because it scored a couple of 0 point somethings higher than Doomsday. I have not seen any of Supernova, and only a couple of minutes of Doomsday, which was just enough for me to close the media player, and delete the film whilst spitting on my monitor ( I considered formatting my hard drive to remove all remnants and history of this piece of corpse stench)

Stay clear of

My theory is that the film makers knew this film was a FailFilm and just named it similar to the new (and better) 2012 film so that the Grandma’s that still visit Blockbuster will accidently buy it.

Anyway, let the review commence!

I did enjoy 2012, but I think because I am very much interested in computer animation and CGI, I found the film more interesting than most people. Or maybe it was just because I saw the majority of America sink/explode/burst into flames and other such catastrophic events (namely Woody Harrelson playing an unimportant character)

The film is very formulaic and Hollywoodised unfortunately, and dramatic, but I suppose the end of the world would be quite dramatic. Like when people say that there is only seven original stories. Every film ever made follows one of these stories, or several of these stories/plots intertwined.

A summary of this film is very easy:

Divorced Dad wins back his wife and kids by saving them from several catastrophes, escaping to China where they have made several large ‘arcs’ to withstand the catastrophes and secure the future of the human race.

Oh yes and along the way the father in law of the children conveniently dies, and the mother gets over his death surprisingly fast and becomes happy family again with Kevin Spacey, strange.

I do think so

Overall I enjoyed 2012. I can’t really explain why because 2012 is a mediocre film apart from the amazing CGI. Perhaps we are all hypnotized by shiny computer generated disasters, and scaring our Grandparents.

[Via http://disgruntalism.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment